Friday, June 15, 2007

what i think about yuri

Yuri is very friendly, warm, funny at times and very loving. He's also very cute and cuddly. I like his big round eyes, his cute little pink tongue and his little nose that always sniffs. I like every inch of him. Not just because he's my dog. Not just because he's my companion. It's because he is my bestfriend.

But I am not Yuri's only bestfriend. Hope its only in my thoughts that Yuri might not be that loyal to me because there are some things that I can't give him that other people can. I just hope I'm wrong about this.


I'd been around dogs for as long as I can remember. Maybe I'm just three of four years old when I first had my puppy to take care of. Ever since, I never lived without a dog beside me. So I can say that I know how to properly raise them based on all the experiences I had.


But why do I doubt myself right now regarding caring for Yuri?


Because this is the first time that I'm sharing my bestfriend with someone else. And honestly, I'm not that at ease with the situation. For oftentimes, there are contradictions between how I take care Yuri with how others treat him. Right now, I can already see the results in Yuri's behavior.


Before, Yuri can still differentiate a stranger from those who are not. Though Yuri is sociable by nature, he used to have this instinct to be careful. But now, he will wag his tail to anyone he met and just give his trust right away. This makes me really worried especially when I heard about the "dognapping" incidents that taken place to almost everywhere. Where toy dogs like Yuri are often the target for abduction. An officemate too once said that Yuri is "dognapabble" cause he is really kind, which made me a lot worried for his safety.


Second is, Yuri used to love food so much. The sound of ripping plastics are already delicious to him. He can consume a big bag of "Holistic Recipe" dog food in less than a month. Even found vitamins a yummy dessert. But now, he will just eat what he wants. And what he wanted is just "canned dog food". For me to compare it with "Holistic", it's less nutritious and even more expensive. Plus, the fact that it is "canned" which makes it more unhealthy for him. We still have to pretend that we're eating his food or he will not taste it at all.


I noticed too that Yuri would just do whatever he wanted to do. Yes, he's playful, very active and fun. But it’s different from being a "disciplined active dog". Now, he never listens. Everything is play for him. Which, in reality, makes him vulnerable to the outside world. Made him not a survivor and not be able to fully develop his instincts to differentiate dangerous things from the one he can actually play.


Yuri is a good dog. Actually, a very very good dog. One of the best bestfriends I've ever had. But it doesn't mean that he can learn things by himself. To know what is good and what is bad for him. Actually, he is very lucky to have so many people that loves him. And I really really appreciate it and I'm also very thankful. But it is still our responsibility to mold him the right way and not for the way where we can see immediate result or answers to his immediate needs. We need to prepare him too for his long journey and old age.


We want Yuri to be with us for as long as we want. Life is not just a happy time. Same with a dog's life. Please help me make him realize what life is about.


Together, let's make him an independent, strong and a "survivor Yuri". With all his already qualities, Yuri will surely be one of the greatest bestfriend ever, if not the greatest dog in the world.


For when that happened, I can say that he lived his doggy life as how it should be. And we're lucky enough to have him spend it with us.

No comments: