Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Thinner is better?

Whenever I go to the mall, I can't help but stare on the widescreen LCD tvs that are on display in appliance stores. I'm particularly interested with the Bravia units offered by Sony. Every time I see those big, super fine, high definition, LCD units, I suddenly see myself daydreaming of what It's like to have it at home and just consume my day off watching my favorite shows and anime dvds.

Well, the dilemma is, they are pretty expensive. I still can't afford it at the moment but I still see myself purchasing a 50inch model in the near future, filling up my own satisfaction.

Or is it worth it?

Here are some of my worries. Will cable companies provide a High Definition feeds by the time I purchase the unit? Where will I put it? (Cause I may not have a bigger space and still be living in a 20 square meter studio unit.) Or worse, what if by then, a better model will be introduced right after I bought the Bravia?

A possibility, especially that thing about a new product.

Why is it so? Because Sony has promised to introduce OLED TV this year (though Samsung doubted it).

What is OLED TV?

Here are some information from the different sites I visited through Google.

Basically means as "Organic Light Emitting Diode TV".

OLEDs are a flat display technology, made by placing a series of organic thin films between two conductors. When electrical current is applied, a bright light is emitted.

Because OLEDs produce (emit) light they do not require a backlight. This means that OLEDs can be made very thin and very power efficient when compared to LCD (Which do require a white backlight), and also it might be possible to create efficient white lighting from OLEDs.

So what does it means?

OLED's advantages are having a more "exciting displays" (ultra-thin, flexible even transparent displays), low power consumption (which make it more environmental friendly), greater brightness, better durability and lighter weight.

Very promising eh? Imagine an acetate functioning as a screen. It's like one step to the matrix technology. Today, we can find small organic displays in many types of devices like cell phones, A/V players, car audio systems, digital cameras and PDAs. Currently, building a large sized OLED display is hard and it will take some time before companies are able to do it economically. Though Sony has already launched their prototypes of larger OLED screens in Japan and claimed to make an 11inch unit available in the market by the end of 2007, Samsung contradict it and stated that it does not believed that Sony will be able to deliver its promise by then.

But whether it will be available or not, I can say that it is still with the consumer's satisfaction that will weigh the pith of this invention. A consumer like me whose only desire is to make the most of the purchase I spent with the product.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.